Set Free Beresford started in 2008 in a little, white, traditional looking church at the corner of 4th and Spruce in Beresford. Pastor Mike and his wife Ruth had been serving there since 2006 out of a response to Gods call to reopen the Baptist Church in Beresford.
But Sunday morning services were not really reaching the folks in the "highways and byways of life" and after much prayer and research, Mike and Ruth met up with Pastor Al and his wife Teressa at the Set Free "biker" church in Sioux Fall.
After meeting with Pastor Al and the leadership, Mike and Ruth received permission to learn from Set Free Sioux Falls the ins and outs of the ministry and start a daughter church in Beresford.
Services at Set Free in Beresford started on Saturday evenings soon after and people started truly being reached. The decision was made to have a meal immediately following the service so that people could fellowship together and not have to worry about making a meal before church. The meal and fellowship became so comfortable, that while the service started at 7:00 PM, the last people were leaving at close to midnight!
God soon provided an opportunity to purchase a building one block away that had been a bowling alley in its previous life....and needed a lot of work. The purchase was made (debt free!) and soon remodeling was happening. God blessed us in a HUGE way with folks from First Baptist in Richmond Missouri who sacrificed vacation time to come up and do a tremendous amount of remodel on the building. We could not have made it without or brothers and sisters at FBC Richmond.
Our first services in the new building proved that God had truly blessed the move. A street level, un-intimidating building with great parking proved to be a powerful location to reach people.
One of the goals of Set Free Beresford is to have "practical" missions. To meet people where they are at in their need. Soon (working with Feeding South Dakota) we were distributing over a ton of free bread on Tuesdays from morning to evening. It didn't matter if you drove up in a Chevette or a Cadillac...everyone was welcome to pick up free bread for themselves or others.
The bread ministry grew and moved to Thursdays, currently we distribute free bread, pastries, and produce. We have food boxes for families in need and for seniors (CSFP). A clinic room was added and our nurse provides free medical care as available (she will also gladly pray with you). A hair cutting/foot care room has also been added and people are finding this a huge blessing!
Food aside, people find Thursday at Set Free a time to come in and talk, have a cup of coffee, sit and visit, or maybe pray or counsel with Pastor Mike or others.
Services are still on Saturday evenings, with a meal immediately following, and yes you may still see the lights on at midnight! You can dress comfortably when you visit (Pastor Mike often is wearing a T-shirt and cargo pants). Music is a mix of traditional and contemporary reflecting both the hymns and songs conveying the christian experience. Pastor Mike typically has preached out of the NKJV but has also used the KJV, NASB, HCSB, NIV and other versions so your Bible will almost certainly feel welcome too!
If you are in the neighborhood, please stop in and visit, you will find that we are just: Ordinary people seeking an extraordinary God.
What We Believe1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, sufficient, authoritative Word of God.
2. We believe there is one eternal, almighty, and perfect God, the Holy Trinity; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in his personal return in power and glory.
4. We believe that as a result of mans fall, all persons inherit a sin nature. All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God.
5. We believe that the only way for mankind to be made right with God and inherit eternal life is through faith in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and Lord.
6. We believe in resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
7. We believe in the spiritual unity of all who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord.